The following ten landform position classes defined by topographic position and slope gradients were modeled using a GIS.
- Valley flats
- Gently sloping toe slopes
- Gently sloping ridges, fans and hills
- Nearly level terraces and plateaus
- Very moist steep slopes
- Moderately moist steep slopes
- Moderately dry steep slopes
- Very dry steep slopes
- Cool aspect scarps, cliffs and canyons
- Hot aspect scarps, cliffs and canyons
The GIS model was created using ArcInfo AML and a 30 meter DEM (digital elevation model). DEM data was from the USGS National Elevation Dataset (1999). The geographic extent for the modeling area encompassed the states of Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada and Utah. While the modeling area encompassed these 5 southwestern states, the actual GIS dataset downloaded from this site may be a subset of the 5-state region. A validation of this model has not been performed.
- Download the regional dataset
- Download the regional dataset without overviews (smaller file)
- View the metadata
- Download clipped datasets by clicking on a map location or browse the files instead.